Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Dessa Rose: Part 2

     I found this reading to be very interesting, and I liked that it had many twists and turns. It was at times hard to comprehend when Dessa would speak, but I think that it was meant to be like that. She was meant to be a character who couldn't speak or write very well at all. It at first is a sad loss when Dess loses Kaine, because I think that she kind of loses a part of who she is. However, I love how strong of a character that she is throughout this book. She keeps moving on when she loses him and I appreciate that in the writing because nowadays if girls go for five minute without getting a text from their boyfriends, they have a coronary. Imagine being a slave and losing the one you love because your master hit him over the head with a shovel.
     I think this book is both a sad and loving story of life through the eyes of a slave. It is meant to show people what is was like for this woman and others like her to not have any rights at all. I found tons of similarities in this book and the essay "The Legacy Of Slavery" by Angela Davis. It is true that the slaves had absolutely no rights at all. Women were raped and chained up and beaten to death. It is sad that this has happened in the past just because of their skin color. I think that this book shows a great example of how people can get over racism and become civil human beings. That's what the relationship between Dessa and Rufel symbolizes to me.


No comments:

Post a Comment