Sunday, February 19, 2012

When the Emperor Was Devine

While reading this book, I found that there were many things that I could never imagine going through. For example, I don't think that I could ever kill my dog or let my pet bird fly away. I could never just pack my bags and go with my mom without knowing where we were going. I think that the mother has to be the strongest character in this book. Although the second her children are in bed, she cries and drinks, it must take a lot of courage to pack away everything you've ever known while taking care of two children.
     I found it very interesting that the author decided to narrate this book through the eyes of the parents and the children. I also found it intriguing that she chose to keep their names a mystery. I thought that it was very sad how the little girl lost her identity when Pearl Harbor was attacked. I couldn't fathom being a character in this book and I think that one of the themes is being able to find the strength inside of yourself.

2 comments:

  1. I agree and think that the mother is so strong, and I would never want to be put in the position that they were put in. I liked that she kept the names a mystery as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The mother had to be strong for her family although she had her weak moments, when she herself drank and cried. However each day was about being strong for her family. The mystery of the names was good for me cause after reading Citizen 13660 with a variety of names I couldn't pronounce it was refreshing.

    ReplyDelete