Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Breath, Eyes, Memory: Reflection

  I really enjoyed reading this book. Even though there were some points in it where I thought it was too graphic, Edwidge Danticat paints a beautiful picture of how life in Haiti really is for women of all ages. I think that in America we tend to overlook how lucky we really are.
  This book focuses on the relationships between mother and daughter and it shows how hard it can be to have a relationship with a mom once they have done "tests". I was surprised to read that Sophie was as forgiving as she was towards her mother. She is definitely a stronger and more forgiving person than I am.
  The book focuses on how Sophie was able to make it through life after growing up in such a terrifying place. It was very fast paced, which I liked and it was also very easy to feel the emotion through her writing. By the end of the book I found myself crying because of what Sophie's mom did to herself. I could never imagine going through anything close to what all of the women in Haiti must be going through at this moment. This book not only made me appreciate my life here in the United States, but it made me appreciate the wonderful woman that I have for a mother as well.

2 comments:

  1. When cultures are studied I think its important to understand that things are not always as they are in America. The book does point out briefly that women around the world are not just tested, but lied up for a variety of reasons. These things may not be right, but culturally they have been going on for longer than the United States has existed. I'm not saying its right, but when is it right that America's push their views on the roles and ideas of other cultures if within that culture it is considered normal?

    ReplyDelete