Sunday, January 29, 2012

19 Varieties of Gazelle: Post 1

"My Father and the Fig Tree"(Naomi Shihab Nye), forever wanting a fig tree and never having one until his children are finally grown and gone. I like the straight forward wife and mother in the poem saying if you want a fig tree so bad please plant and grow one. It seems to me like the father is holding on to this dream of a fig tree until it finds him. The next poem after this is "What Kind of Fool am I"(Naomi Shihab Nye) which seems to have no relation to the previous poem which makes me wonder why it proceeds it? It seems both poems are about the writers father. In this poem he sings in arabic and English kind of blending his two words together. This poem is the morning ritual of the poets father; waking up singing and showing love for his children.

1 comment:

  1. I agree. I like that in some of her poems she can be so straight forward. She has a way of making things clear,but not boring.

    ReplyDelete