Sunday, January 22, 2012

Breath, Eyes, Memory : Through the Mother's Eyes

    When I first started reading this book I was a little worried that I would be uninterested in the plot. As I got further into reading I was surprised at how much of an opinion I could create out of some of the events. The one person in this book that really tends to get under my skin is Sophie's mother. I understand that she is very over protective because of what happened to her when she was Sophie's age, but I think that there is a fine line between being an over protective mom and being absolutely ridiculous.
  In the beginning of course I thought that the "testing" was a little bit outrageous, but then I thought about it later and realized that I wouldn't understand because that's not my culture. I wasn't born in Haiti and gratefully, I will never have to go through what Sophie did. After that realization I figured Sophie's mom wasn't really that bad, until she kicked her out right before part three. I'm sorry, but if you loved your child as much as you claim you do, you would never throw her out. Thinking about how much my mom loves me, I could kill someone, get pregnant, wreck her car, and call her a bitch to her face and I doubt she would ever kick me out even after all of that. ( Even though I would never in a million years do any of those things.)

2 comments:

  1. Martine got under my skin in a lot of ways too, but I think considering her rape, she was just trying to protect Sophie from what happened to her a long time ago. It seemed that all of the women in the story were trying to prevent something from happening to their daughters or sisters or mother, that they had experienced, and that it kept on happening in one way or another.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What really got me was when she said she tested her because she was tested and felt that pain. I don't want to judge because she needed the help before having her own child, imagine raising a child that was brought into your life by rape? The book tells us she has gone through 25 years of being raped every night, I can't even place that in context to understand how one should or shouldn't act.

    ReplyDelete